“The world system we inhabit came about due to a mistake.”
– The Gospel of Phillip, Nag Hammadi Scrolls, Codex II, 3:75.5
“Mother Earth was blasted by a searing dry wind. To human eyes it would have looked as if the mist was being churned up by a typhoon, but mystic vision detects something like a human form hidden in the storm – a long-boned giant, hooded, with scaly white skin and red eyes. The darkness was the spirit of Saturn. He was armed with a scythe and he swooped down, pressing himself on top of Mother Earth with black delight. “Don’t be afraid. Let me just…lie on you.” Did he want to make love to her? Or was his only desire to squeeze the life out of her? There was an ambiguity to his deeds that would leave a scar, a chasm in the deep structure of the cosmos….To Saturn it seemed as if her reserves were limitless, as if she were absorbing all his strength, draining him. But the irony was that for her part she began to fear she couldn’t hang on much longer either. It felt to her as if she had nothing left, that he was the stronger. he was succeeding in suffocating all the life out of her, and if he did, she knew the consequences: there would never be life anywhere in the universe. It would forever be a place of the shifting dead matter…”
– “The Sacred History”, Mark Booth
I’ve just finished up an amazing read, namely John Lamb Lash’s “Not in His Image: Gnostic Vision, Sacred Ecology, and the Future of Belief”.
For those of you who follow certain strains of Gnosticism, some of David Icke’s work or just have an interest in secret/forbidden teachings or understanding the origins of belief among Abrahamic traditions… Folks, this is the mystical jack-pot you’ve been waiting for (my apologies to readers, who like political, current events types of posts, it’s totally cool if you sit this one out because this is going to get VERY esoteric).
I’ll first outline what Lamb Lash writes in the lost Gnostic myths on our origins, most of it based on the Nag Hammadi library, then I’ll point out where it differs in discourse and some of the deeper implications of it along with parallel teachings in other traditions. The implications are immense and probably worth at least another five books, but I’ll only hit what came to me very quickly.
Quick back step – After the Councils of Carthage and Rome, the Christian Bible (and by extension, church dogma) is officially “closed”, meaning you cannot add to the Bible canon anymore even if versions of some of those old Bible stories are suddenly found, with better clarity, better explanation and in some cases even render some of those old interpretations as just plain wrong. So when you have epic archaeological finds like the Nag Hammadi Library or the Dead Sea Scrolls, often containing alternate versions of events and lessons in the “official” Bible or Torah and written at the same time as the events of those two books, even if what they say is legit, it’s not considered canon and cannot be considered part of “official” Christianity or Judaism. The implications also spill over into Islam since Islam echos the same stories very often. More importantly, the implications spill over into everything around us in the world today.
OK, here’s the Gnostic origin myth in mystical terms, as found in The Nag Hammadi scrolls (which BTW also includes intriguing stuff like the Gospel of Phillip, the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Truth, and a chapter called “On the Origin of the World”). I’m simplifying it here immensely.
1) A singularity arises out of Cosmic Intelligence, the Pleroma
2) From the Pleroma, 2 figureheads emerge, Thelete (Divine Intention) and Sophia (Divine Wisdom)
3) A cosmic “She” decides to come into Being from the dream world (or the world of forms as Plato would say – Lamb Lash’s book refers to her as Gaia Sophia).
4) Fascinated and completely absorbed in the passionate process of her own becoming and dreaming, Sophia unilaterally, without a counterpart, watches her own creation and without realizing it, has broken one Cosmic law, that creation needs to happen in twos, not ones.
5) While Gaia Sophia “forms” herself in the material 3-D dimension as planet Earth, she inadvertently causes a ripple effect between the dimensions over which she has no control and did not anticipate in happening
6) In this disturbance, parasitic beings, called Archons (or demons, bad spirits, ghouls if you prefer) are created and they gather around a false god called the Demiurge, who falsely believes he’s the creator of all. This demented god then proceeds to create atomic matter from mist and empty spaces.
7) Sophia undergoes her process of materialization as planet Earth. Sophia is the prime mover, the Primal Creatress, boundless creativity, originality, fecundity, fertility. The planet Earth is inadvertently caught within the false, inorganic, synthetic system or matrix of the Demiurge, NOT the Pleroma, the real origin. Sophia calls out the Demiurge as the fake that he is and that Beings who come from the Pleroma (which includes human souls) are more intelligent than the Archons.
8) The Demiurge and the Archons are copycats, pale imitators, leeches…However, they are very good at stealing and copying from others or causing such disruption/distraction, that no good creative work gets done. They are a jealous, covetous, cunning and constantly hungry lot. They always want more, it’s never enough.
9) Just as the Archons then start to feed off of Sophia, from the moment of her completion, deep in the Pleroma another Being, the Aeon Christos, hears her cry for help and at the very last second, before Sophia is overtaken completely, Aeon Christos, the Sun itself, shows up, with his healing and life-giving warmth.
10) Sophia is saved but stranded and isolated from the Pleroma. Unfortunately, the Archons and Demiurge matrix are still here as well and have tricked everyone into lies and falsehood and stories from the word “Go”.
11) Humanity’s awakening is thus intimately tied with Sophia’s fate. Humanity’s triple challenge is finding their evolutionary niche, staying clear of Archons and their interference and defining its role in Sophia’s ongoing evolution.
Lash Lamb’s book goes into substantial detail about what I just wrote but he also points out how many of the origin stories in places like the Bible and Koran also retold this story using certain elements and changing others (i.e Garden of Eden—> Sophia, Serpent—>Archons, A jealous “God”–> Demiurge, etc.). What I find VERY interesting is that if you begin to look at this on a symbolic level, a lot of myths from other religions start to add up.
It’s a shame that more people don’t know about these alternate visions and that so much of Gnostic lore has either been eradicated over time through political and religious forces or forgotten about completely had it not been for once-in-a-lifetime discoveries like the Nag Hammadi and Dead Sea Scrolls. It would force a re-telling and change the narrative in so many other areas of human life as well.
For one, it would acknowledge the primacy of the female force in creation. Much of the misogyny and patriarchy that we live with around us in today’s world, whether it’s the higher pay men receive, the right-wing politicians telling women what they can and can’t do with their own bodies, men-only clergy or honour killings in places like Pakistan is a direct result of the undermining of the importance of the female. If that had been there from Day 1, I think the world would look very different from what it is today.
Secondly, I think it would fine-tune people’s judgement-making abilities because they would be able to “see” things very clearly without any, if I may say, Archon-like influence. Like I had written earlier, Archons are parasites, copy-cats and insatiable in their hunger. If you look at some versions of capitalism, it’s ALL about clawing your way to the top, rugged individualism, making as much money as possible and even when you have $10 million, you then want $20 million. You have a great spouse and kids yet you also go looking around for an affair.
Instead of being grateful for today and what you have right now and realizing that tomorrow isn’t a promise, you worry and then worry some more about planning your life down to the upteenth detail for your life 30 years from now. Instead of valuing friendships and relationships, we place value on stuff. We bulldoze virgin forests and trees, put up ugly condo developments in place and then insert fake plastic plants and trees around them to make them livable and less-sterile. We feed our stomachs and other appetites and completely overlook feeding our souls, our true selves.
Who the fuck is telling us that all this phoniness is real “life”?
The old stories have to go, people need to wake up from the collective haze they live under, mostly induced by false myths, false ideals and false ideologies.
If any of you are familiar with Greek mythology, Cronus (who became Saturn in Roman mythology) was the leader of the Titans, descendants of Uranus the sky god, and Gaia the Earth. Prophecy had told him, one of his sons would overthrow him, like Cronus himself had once done to his own father. To prevent this, Cronus ate his children but then Zeus was born and quickly switched at birth and he ended up overthrowing Cronus and the other Titans and establishing the reign of the Olympians. Like Zeus, I think we’re going to be asked to overthrow our version of “Cronus”, myths we have lived with for far too long because the real truth was deliberately kept from us and in doing so, also keeps us powerless.
More to come…